If you or a loved one has difficulty entering or exiting the tub or shower, you might be considering replacement walk-in tubs. Great tubs for seniors and those with limited mobility, walk-in tubs give any bathroom modern flair while restoring personal independence for some and providing easy-access bathing comfort for all. Despite this, though, walk-in baths are still not for everyone. Purchasing a walk-in tub is a big decision and, with all the mixed reviews out there, it can be hard to know whether one is right for you. To help answer your most pressing questions, we’ve put together a list of pros and cons to buying a new walk-in tub.
Are Walk-In Tubs Safe?
Slipping and falling in the bathroom is a dangerous hazard and a common source of injury among seniors. One of the most popular reasons for purchasing a walk-in-tub is the added safety they offer with their handrails, built-in seating, and textured flooring.
- Curbless entrance reduces risk of injury.
- Seating allows you to submerge yourself without bending down to the floor.
- Handrails help you steady yourself when you sit and stand.
- Walk-in tub molds can be constricting when a person needs complete bathing assistance.
- If you have a medical emergency, such as chest pain, you must wait for the tub to drain before you can exit and dial 911 (a waterproof medical device eliminates this risk).
Do Walk-In Tubs Ease Pain?
Soaking in warm water can be a great way to relax and reduce muscle pain and tension. It’s also beneficial for those with arthritis. These benefits make walk-in-tubs attractive to many, but there are some things to watch for.
- Walk-in-tubs allow you to fully submerge yourself in warm water safely, helping reduce back pain and other aches.
- Unlike outdoor hot tubs, walk-in tubs can be used anytime for fast pain relief.
- Some walk-in tubs fill and drain slowly, meaning you have to sit there and wait, which can lead to discomfort. Walk-ins that operate quickly and come with heated seating can significantly mitigate this problem.
Are Walk-In Tubs Economical?
Walk-in tubs can cost a lot, and some companies are less than forthcoming about their expense. For many customers, though, the cost is well worth it.
- If you live in a retirement community, a walk-in tub increases the value of your home.
- The security and health benefits reduce medical costs.
- Many walk-in tub providers offer affordable payment plans.
- Installation costs might be high, depending on your bathroom.
- If your water heater can’t support a walk-in tub, you might have to purchase a new one.
- Quick fill/drain features sometimes require additional bathroom remodeling along with the installation.
- Some advertisements don’t include hidden costs for things like water jets or fast draining/filling fixtures.
South Florida Installation Experts Make the Transition Easier on Your Loved Ones
As you can see, walk-in tubs might not be for everyone, but for those looking for secure, handicap-accessible tubs, a walk-in fixture offer the perfect solution. If you’d like to learn more about walk-in tub features and options, contact our South Florida walk-in tub installation experts today!
Give Bathroom Pros a call to connect with one of our bathroom remodeling professionals to discuss your renovation plans. We also invite you to submit our quick and easy online form to request your free quote.